The city of Aachen
Aachen is one of the historical major cities in the west of Germany and is particularly known as the ancient resident of Charlemagne (747 – 814 AD). The urban history of its foundation dates back to the Neolithic Age when the first population was established in this region. The cultural heritage evolves multifaceted, caused by historical events and architectural significant buildings. Formerly a place of coronation to 30 German Kings (936 – 1531 AD), now well known as a health resort and spa based on hot and sulfate water sources which were already used during Roman occupation.
There are still parts of historical buildings which are integrated and restored in downtown, especially in the Aachen Cathedral. Since 1349 Aachen is also known as a place of pilgrimage when the Cathedral presents its four relics of Christianity to the pilgrims every seven years.
The urban history of Aachen can be explored in the “Centre Charlemagne”. In addition to historical sights there are also museums like “Ludwigforum” and “Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum” in which, among other things, contemporary art is exhibited. “CHIO”—the World Equestrian Festival is an eminently respectable event which takes place in Aachen Soers yearly. Aachen as a health resort and spa is represented by the “Carolus Therme”, which uses the hot and sulfate water spring for its baths. Aachen’s geographical position in the tri-border region of Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium as well as the bordering countryside of the Venn, the Voreifel and the Ardennes provide a beautiful landscape to Aachen.
With over 240 thousand inhabitants Aachen is not only a culturally attractive city but due to the RWTH University also a distinguished high-technology and educational location.
The cornerstone for this notable university was officially placed by Prince Wilhelm I. on 15 May 1865 for the "Royal Rhine-Westphalian Polytechnical University," where the main building is constructed in the Templergraben presently. The first dedication of the university took place on 10 October 1870 with 32 professors and 223 male students under the direction of principal August von Kaven. Since then, the school of engineering established itself as a prestigious technical university with university regulations and organizational structure and thus to a university with increasing competence in science and research. With nine faculties, 260 Institutes, more than 500 professors and over 40,000 students, the “Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule” Aachen increases considerably and develops to be the largest University in technical study programs in Germany and to be one of the largest traditional universities in Europe.